The goal of this course is to help students to consolidate their basic knowledge of the Spanish language, with emphasis on grammar, reading, writing and communicative activities in order to improve your listening and speaking skills. Students will learn out of class with authentic materials. This course prepares students to move into more advanced writing and conversations courses. It is assumed, therefore, that students registered for this class have a good command of beginning Spanish, i.e. sound system, grammar, vocabulary, and sentence structure.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Read and demonstrate comprehension of uncomplicated prose in Spanish.
- Converse in the target language on practical daily subjects and be understood by speakers of Spanish.
- Write in Spanish with complex sentences on various topics, cultural material, and everyday subjects.
- Understand Spanish spoken at normal speed with some repetition on a variety of selected topics in various formats.
- Develop critical thinking skills of deduction and inference about grammar patterns and syntax in order to extract meaning from texts and verbal discourse.
- Continue developing awareness of cultural values, beliefs, and ideologies of the Hispanic world.