|Dept:||World Languages And Cultures|
|Office:||3142a Pearson |
505 Morrill Rd.
BioDr. Jacob E. Larsen is a polyglot who has lived, studied, and worked in Denmark, Brazil and, most recently, the United States. These experiences have allowed him to develop a variety of skills in languages, intercultural-, interpersonal-, and workplace communication, collaboration and leadership.
Dr. Larsen has professional experience in customer success management, tech support, K-12 and higher ed teaching, consulting, educational technology support for a variety of subject areas, and educational technology leadership. In addition, he has conducted research in areas such as blended and online learning as well as faculty engagement strategies to promote the use of educational technology.
Recently, Dr. Larsen has been involved in managing the RFP process, evaluation, and adoption of a new learning management system for the Iowa State University campus. In addition, he has managed renovations and updates of the LSRC and department classrooms and taken new initiatives in the LSRC including the Student Assistant Mentoring program to support instructor use of educational technology, together with a significant expansion of language learning materials and tools in the Language Studies Resource Center.
In his job as Director of the LSRC Dr. Larsen focuses on the strategic support for language teaching and learning with a specific emphasis on the pedagogically sound implementation of innovative educational technologies. In addition, he is involved with the evaluation of innovative educational technology installations and active learning, research on emerging technology and its implementation, as well as faculty engagement strategies to advance the pedagogical use of educational technologies.
Grants and AwardsAwards
- 2020 Professional and Scientific Staff Excellence Award
- Language Studies Resource Center Annual Operating Expenses $32,182.00 (2018), $46,019.00 (2019), $58,333.00 (2020)
- LSRC Spanish 303B Materials upgrade $3,060.00 (2020) • LSRC front desk computer replacement $6,547.54 (2020)
- LSRC iPad cart replacement $19,878.25 (2020) • LSRC iMac desktop replacement $21,632.65 (2019)
- LSRC Virtual Reality Classroom Cart $9,675.33 (2019) – received 50% funding
- LSRC Mac laptop cart replacement $43,589.70 (2019)
- Pearson Hall 3113 Educational Technology Renovation, $17,246.45 (2018)