|Dept:||World Languages And Cultures|
BioShenglan Zhang is an Associate Professor of Chinese Studies. She earned her Ph.D. in Educational Psychology and Educational Technology at Michigan State University. Prof. Zhang’s main area of research is second language learning with technology. Within this area, her current research program addresses how blended and flipped learning environments can be designed to maximize students’ language and culture skills, how teachers can help students improve their self-regulated learning in blended learning environments, how Chinese script could be taught more efficiently, and how language teachers can contribute to and utilize Open Educational Resources.
Prof. Zhang's research has been published in peer-reviewed journals such as Chinese as a Second Language Research, the International Journal of Chinese Language Teaching, Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, and the International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching. In addition, Prof. Zhang is a co-editor of the Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching, and she serves on the editorial boards of two journals: Chinese as a Second Language, the flagship journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association, and the Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching.
Prof. Zhang teaches all levels of the Chinese curriculum including China Today. Based on her scholarship in design-based learning, she has introduced blended and flipped platforms for Chinese language courses. In addition, Prof. Zhang is the coordinator of the lower-division Chinese language courses. During the academic year 2022-2023, she will be conducting research in Taiwan as a Fulbright Scholar.
Grants and Awards
- Fulbright Scholarship Taiwan, 2022-2023
- Iowa State University Miller Open Education Mini-Grant, 2022-2023
- Iowa State University James Huntington Ellis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching, 2021
- Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Seed Grant for Social Sciences, 2020-2021
- Iowa State University College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching, 2020
- Center for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities (CEAH) Sheltering the Storm Grant, 2020
- Iowa State University Miller Faculty Fellowship, 2020
Recent / Major Publications
- Zhang, S., & Da, J. (Accepted). Technology-assisted Chinese character teaching. In J. Jin, S. Ke, & Y. Yang (Eds.), Chinese language education and second language Chinese acquisition: An interface with Chinese linguistics (pp--). New York: Routledge.
- Zhang, S. (Accepted). Effective character teaching methods for L1 English Chinese-as-a-foreign-language learners: A review of empirical research. Chinese as a Second Language.
- Zhang, S. (Accepted). Curriculum design in teaching Chinese characters to American students: When and what? Chinese as a second Language Research.
- Zhang, S. (2023). Designing and developing multimedia videos and micro-movies for flipped language learning: A design-based exploratory study. International Journal of Chinese Language Teaching. October Issue.
- Zhang, S. (2022). Integrating Culture in Language Curriculum from Beginning- to Intermediate-Level in a Blended Learning Environment: A Design-Based Empirical Study. In K. Nemtchinova (ed.). Enhancing Beginner-Level Foreign Language Education for Adult Learners. Routledge.
- Zhang, S. (2022). From flipped/blended to fully online: Lessons learned and strategies for the future. In S. Liu (ed.). Teaching the Chinese Language Remotely: Global Cases and Perspectives (pp. 269-294). Palgrave Macmillan.
- Zhang, S. (2022). Enhancing grammar learning with a multimedia instructional module: Design and teaching of “shì…de” construction for CFL learners. Chinese Language Teaching Methodology and Technology, 5(1), 1-28.
- Zhang, S. (2022). Intermediate-level language learners’ use of online accessible resources to supplement learning: An exploratory study. Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching.13(1), 26-45.
- Zhang, S. (2022). Teaching “shi…de” construction: Strategies and steps. K-12 Chinese Language Teaching, 5, 25-32.
- Zhang, S., & Jaramillo, N. (2021). Seamless Integration between Online and Face-to-Face: The Design and Perception of a Flipped-Blended Language Course. International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 11(4), 19-39.
- Zhang, S. (2021). A systematic review of pedagogical research on teaching Chinese as a foreign language in the United States – From 1960 to 2020. Chinese as a Second Language Research, 10(2), 207-238.
- Zhang, S. (2020). Self-efficacy within an individualized approach to improving language learners’ self-regulated learning strategies. In Smit, T., & Simons, M. (Eds.) Language Education and Emotions (pp.37-53). Routledge.
- Zhang, S. (2019). Learners’ Perceptions of a Wiki-Enhanced Task-Based Language Teaching Approach Designed and Implemented at the Syllabus Level. Chinese as a Second Language, 54(3), 221-256. (Actual Publication date: September 2020)