|Dept:||World Languages And Cultures|
|Office:||3118d Pearson |
505 Morrill Rd.
BioI'm the Coordinator of the Multi-Section Lower Division Chinese language courses at Iowa State University. I earned my Ph.D. in Educational Psychology and Educational Technology at Michigan State University. My main area of research is second language learning with technology. My current research program addresses how blended and flipped learning environments can be designed to maximize learners’ language and culture learning, how teachers can help students improve their self-regulated learning skills in the blended learning environments, and how Augmented Reality could be utilized in language learning. My research informs my teaching.
Grants and Awards
- ISU James Huntington Ellis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching, 2021
- ISU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching, 2020
- Center for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities (CEAH) Sheltering the Storm Grant, 2020
- Miller Fellowship, 2020
- CEAH Faculty Learning Community Award, 2019
- Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) Presenter Award, 2019, 2018
- Engineering-LAS Online Learning (ELO) Course Improvement Grant, 2019
Recent / Major Publications
- Zhang, S. (in press). Learners’ Perceptions of a Wiki-Enhanced Task-Based Language Teaching Approach Designed and Implemented at the Syllabus Level. Chinese as a Second Language.
- Zhang, S. (In press). Self-efficacy within an individualized approach to improving language learners’ self-regulated learning strategies. In Smit, T., & Simons, M. (Eds.) Language Education and Emotions. Routledge.
- Zhang, S. (2019). Culture Learning Through Multimedia Authentic Materials and Ethnographic Interview in a Blended Learning Environment. Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching, 10(2), 125-149.
- Zhang, S. (2019). Chinese-as-a-Foreign-Language Learners’ Use of Self-Regulated Learning in Flipped/Blended Learning Environments – A Descriptive Study. Studies in Self-Access Learning Journal, 10(2), 181-204.
- Zhang, S. (2019). The effectiveness of a Web 2.0-enhanced TBLT approach implemented at the syllabus. Chinese as a Second Language Research, 8(2), 197-225.
- Zhang, S. (2018). Augmented reality in foreign language education – A review of empirical studies. Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching 9(2), 116-133.
- Zhang, S. (2017). A review of literature on preparing language teachers to teach online: What is needed and what has been done? Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching, 8(2), 53-69.
- Zhang, S. (2017). Applying research-based multimedia design principles in designing and teaching beginning CFL learners Ba-construction online: A pilot study. Chinese as a Second Language, 52(3), 255-291.
- Zhang, S. (2016). Learning through a CMC-based tandem project with native speakers: A descriptive study of beginning CFL Learners. Journal of Technology and Chinese Language Teaching, 7(2), 58-81.
- Zhang, S. (2016). Killing two birds with one stone – Turning CFL learners into book writers. Chinese as a Second Language, 51(2), 164-190.
- Zhang, S. (2016). A blended Chinese-as-a-foreign-language short course - Design and perceptions. International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning and Teaching, 6(2), 35-55.
- Zhang, S. (2016). Teachers as curators: Curating authentic online content for beginning and intermediate CFL learners. Researching and Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, 2(2), 181-193.